Re: US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#162289

From: Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:24:44 -0700

> If CERT is to maintain its reputation, it needs to do better.  The warning
> is misdirected in any case; given the very large number of compilers that
> these coding practices cause trouble for, you need to focus on the bad
> coding practices, not on unfair demonization of new GCC releases.

In my opinion CERT's advisory has been nothing but an unfair FUD
campaign on compilers, and GCC specifically, and has seriously
devalued CERT's advisories, in general, which were already of low
value to begin with.

It looks similar to a news article run by a newspaper that is losing
money and has no real news to write about, but yet they have to write
about something.

The worst part of this fiasco is that GCCs reputation has been
unfairly harmed in one way or another, and there is nothing CERT can
do to rectify the damage they've caused.