Re: Official GCC git repository

On 18/04, Daniel Berlin wrote:

| I know you think this is personal, as per your email below, but it really isn't.
| I had it set up to do it after every commit, and it drove our load
| average up a noticeable amount.
| As such, I stopped doing it and set it to run every 30 minutes.
|
| >  I know that you don't like git, but I was happy to see that you volunteered
| >  anyway to setup the GIT repository when the person who was supposed to
| >  do it became MIA. But now that you have done the hard part, I don't
| >  understand why you explicitly refuse to do the small part which is
| >  needed to make the GIT repository that you populated easy and pleasant
| >  to use.
|
| I'm not sure why you think this is some personal vendetta I have.
| I tried what you ask, it causes noticeably more load, so i stopped doing it.

I don't think this is personal at all, on the contrary: you stated
publicly that GIT is not your SCM of choice, which is of course
perfectly right, and you set it up anyway, so I don't think you have a
personal vendetta running against git :)

| I can't see how only being updated every 30 minutes is somehow "less
| easy and pleasant to use".
| This is the price you pay for not being the main version control system.
| The same is true of the mercurial mirror, it is only updated every 30 minutes.
| I have not discriminated against git in any way, shape or form, and in
| fact had tried what you suggest before moving to this model.
|
| FWIW, if the git repo or the mercurial repo started seriously driving
| up the load average of the server, we would turn them off, because
| neither is the main version control system of gcc.
| This is just the price you pay for not being the official repo.

I think the mistake is to have them (git & hg) hosted on the same
machine as svn. Having them on "hg.gcc.gnu.org" and "git.gcc.gnu.org"
would allow to split the load between machines (even if "hg.gcc.gnu.org"
and "git.gcc.gnu.org" are the same machines originally).