Re: Official GCC git repository

On 18/04, Daniel Berlin wrote:

| >  how is the GIT repository synced? Is there a hook which updates it
| >  after a svn commit?
|
| No.
| It is synced every 30 minutes.
|

| >  I'm about to switch from infradead to gcc.gnu.org, and I want to make
| >  sure that the latter is synced at least as frequently as the former
| >  before I do that.
|
| I have strong doubts that whether it is synced every commit or every
| 30 minutes seriously affects your development.

Where did I wrote that it would "seriously affect my development"?

However, having it synced periodically rather than after every commit is
an annoyance. For example, when I see an interesting commit, I sometimes
want to look at it once installed in the sources; the easiest solution
is to refresh my git repository and look at it. If it's not there yet,
it's an annoyance.

When one of my patches get approved, before committing it, I rebase it
on the latest sources and put it at the bottom of my patch stack and checks
that it at least still compiles cleanly. If git is not in sync, it's an
annoyance.

When I commit one of my patches, I remove it from my git patch stack
and rebase other patches on top of the upstream git repository, which
should now include the patch I just checked in. If git is not in sync,
I have to either leave for up to 30 minutes with one patch missing,
or I have to wait for up to 30 minutes before I can remove the original
from my tree.  It's an annoyance.

As you see, no, it doesn't "seriously affect my development", it just
makes it less practical and, more importantly from my point of view,
less fun. Especially when there are no obstacles to making it be more
practical but a one-time setup.

So having git refresh itself after a SVN commit would be great :)