Re: RFC: named address space support

Ben Elliston wrote:

C++ is not supported because this proposal came from WG14 (which is not
the C++ working group, WG21).  There is no such proposal from the C++
folks.

I don't know that implementing this right away in the C++ front-end is
such a great idea.

I agree. Much to my dismay, the C and C++ committees don't seem to be willing to work together to make sure that C remains a subset of C++. I'm not terribly familiar with this proposal.

Ben, to answer your original question, I don't think that lack of nested address spaces is a fatal flaw, as long as the implementation otherwise meets the spec, and as long as the implementation doesn't somehow make it harder to add that. However, I'd like to know how final this proposal is, and how likely it is to make the WG14 WP. As always, I'm concerned about putting things into GCC and then finding out that we have to change them in ways that are not backwards compatible. And, I'd like to know what our C maintainers make of the proposal overall; if they see language issues, then we might want to resolve those with WG14.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery