version control process improvement

I was speaking to Andrew Tridgell yesterday about how he uses svn with
the Samba project.  He mentioned an idea that we could pursue in the GCC
project.

As you know, Subversion keeps all branches and the trunk under different
paths in the repository.  Thus, it's possible to check out multiple
branches under a single directory tree.  eg:

  ~/source
	gcc
	  branches/gcc-4.2
	  branches/gcc-4.3
	  trunk

I don't know if anyone else does it this way; I don't.  By doing it this
way, it's possible to apply a patch to multiple branches and commit them
in a single changeset.  This has the advantage of allowing us to track
all of the branches a patch was committed to (at least initially;
someone may of course backport the patch at a later stage) with svn-log
-v.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Ben