Re: vtrelocs: large/modular C++ app speedup ...

Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@novell.com> writes:

> 	Since almost all function relocations of this type are inside vtables,
> I implemented a new way of relocating vtables. This is a new
> '.suse.vtrelocs' section.

It's an interesting idea.  Some comments:

* Use GNU instead of SUSE, as this is for the GNU tools.

* Don't check for explicit section names.  Instead, give the section a
  magic type.

* It seems that this is not backward compatible--an executable built
  in this way will not work if the dynamic linker does not know about
  it.  The section should have the SHF_OS_NONCONFORMING bit set.

* Aren't you going to get a lot of duplicate vtreloc entries?
  Shouldn't they be grouped with the vtables themselves?

* The idea is useless without support in the dynamic linker, so you
  need to get signoff there first.

Ian