Re: gcc-4.1-20080303 is now available

From: "Mark Mitchell" <mark@codesourcery.com>

Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:

My understanding is that *users* of GCC are not impacted by the license
change.

Some users certainly are impacted by the license change -- there are in fact quite a few companies that disallow their users using any GPLv3 software!

I think you're right that GPLv3 has no substantial impact on what you can or cannot do with GCC, and therefore that most users -- once they and their legal departments understand GPLv3 -- can go on using GCC in exactly the ways they did when it was GPLv2. But, that doesn't mean that it's not a major surprise to have an update release have a new and different license, with which you might not be familiar.

Then it all boils down to FUD. And IMHO we're being complicit in it by validating and enabling it.

Some legal departments may prohibit using all GPLv3 software. But since we haven't released gcc-4.1.3, users are not getting it anyway. (I'd say very few users are adventurous enough to rely on svn or snapshots as Gerald suggested.) At least by releasing 4.1.3 some (many? most?) users would get the benefit, and as more legal departments work through their fears more (all) users will eventually benefit.

I haven't heard anything that changes my opinion, I still think we should relicense the 4.1 branch and do one last release before closing it.

Am I alone here, or does anyone else agree with me? :-/

       --Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi