Re: Seg fault in call_gmon_start

Desineni, Harikishan wrote:
I just compiled an app with GCC. It is segmentation faulting in call_gmon_start (even before reaching main() of my program

Gcc usage questions should not be sent to the gcc list. This list is for being doing development work on gcc. This is an appropriate question for the gcc-help list.

It will probably do nothing unless you compiled with -pg. The important bit here is that your program is apparently failing on the very first instruction it executes, as call_gmon_start is probably the first function in the init section, which contains initializers run before calling main. So there is apparently something seriously wrong with your setup, e.g. the kernel isn't constructing the process stack correctly, or the process stack is being mapped to non-existent memory, or something else unusual is going wrong. There may not be anything wrong with gcc itself.

call_gmon_start comes from glibc by the way. Look there for more info.

Jim