Re: atomic accesses

>>>>> "Segher" == Segher Boessenkool <segher@kernel.crashing.org> writes:

 Segher> Good point.  Suggestions for better wording?  How does

 Segher> "any access to a naturally aligned scalar object in memory
 Segher> that is not a bit-field and fits in a general purpose integer
 Segher> machine register, will be performed by a single machine
 Segher> instruction whenever possible"

 Segher> or

 Segher> "any access to a naturally aligned scalar object in memory
 Segher> that is not a bit-field and not bigger than a long int, will
 Segher> be performed by a single machine instruction whenever
 Segher> possible"

 Segher> sound?

As I said before, I think any words of this form SHOULD NOT be added.
All it does is add words to the documentation that provide NO
guarantee of anything -- but in a way that will confuse those who
don't read it carefully enough into thinking that they DID get some
sort of guarantee.

In other words, a statement like that has clear negative value.

       paul