Swing replacements

Pardon my intrusion, I suspect that you are not the right
people to ask, but I'm hoping that you might know whom I
_should_ be asking.

In an Excelsior article by Dmitry Leskov on converting Java
code to a Windows .exe file, (or maybe on a page I reached
from that page), I read that while the basic Java classes
_can_ be packaged as a .exe, Java does not allow its awt or
Swing classes to be so packaged (I hope I've got this right).

I have a stand-alone, non-Web-based app. that I'd like to
distribute as a .exe with some database files, to a layman
audience, and I'd like to avoid issues of JRE distribution and
compatibility, etc. So I'm hoping someone, somewhere, has
written a replacement framework for Java's GUI classes. Can
you by any chance point me in such a direction?

Thank you very much,
Jerome Brown