Re: RFC: GCC 4.4 criteria - add Fortran as primary language?

Joe Buck wrote:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 02:27:27PM -0800, Tim Prince wrote:
Joel Sherrill wrote:
Tobias Burnus wrote:
According to the GCC 4.4 Release Criteria,
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/criteria.html, only C and C++ are primary
languages. And thus only C and C++ regressions can be release critical.

I propose to add Fortran to these languages. Reasons:

- Fortran is relatively widely used; while C/C++ is wider used,
distributions and to a lesser users compile also libraries such as BLAS,
LAPACK etc. which are written in Fortran

- gfortran has few (known;-) regressions. Currently, PR33296 and
PR32841.

My first thought is does gfortran support and have
similarly good test results on all primary and secondary
platforms.
How would anyone judge this, except by referring to gcc-testresults?
gfortran developers have cleared up a number of secondary platform
problems whose counterparts have been allowed to remain in the "primary"
language. In my experience, this supports the "actively maintained" point.

Maybe there could be a "semi-primary" or "experimental primary" status;
a feature could be treated as primary, but with the understanding that
the requirement will be waived if it causes excessive delay. The
"experimental" label could be dropped after a few successful releases.
I think that sounds reasonable.  This won't be
the last language, library, etc that will want to
move up in status.

--joel

  Support Available             (256) 722-9985