Re: GCC 4.3.0 Status Report (2008-02-14)

	I misread Janis's latest patch that I approved.

	The patch was suppose to enable -mabi=altivec when -maltivec is
enabled, not change the default ABI.

	For other OSes, -mabi=altivec is the default, so -maltivec just
works and produces correct code.  If a user enables -maltivec on
powerpc32-linux explicitly or implicitly (with -mcpu=970 or -mcpu=power6),
presumably he or she want GCC to produce correct, self-consistent,
ABI-compliant Altivec code.  Because no other OSes require an explicit
invocation of -mabi=altivec and most users do not expect to need multiple
commandline options for correct operation, users are confused.  Therefore,
the plan is for -maltivec to imply -mabi=altivec for ppc32-linux.

	In summary, the patch is suppose to make -maltivec produce correct
code on ppc32-linux.

	Mark, I appreciate your and Daniel's suggestions, but that is not
what we wish to implement for ppc32-linux.

Thanks, David