Re: BITS_PER_UNIT less than 8

Am 08.12.2007 um 02:49 schrieb Joseph S. Myers:

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Ross Ridge wrote:

Boris Boesler writes:
Ok, so what have I to do to write a back-end where all addresses are
given in bits? Memory is addressed in bits, not bytes. So I set:

#define BITS_PER_UNIT 1
#define UNITS_PER_WORD 32

I don't know if it's useful to define the size of a byte to be less than
8-bits, even if that more accurately reflects the hardware. Standard C
requires that the char type both be at least 8 bits (UCHAR_MAX >= 256)
and the same size as a byte (sizeof(char) == 1). You can't define any
types that are smaller than a char and have sizeof work correctly.

I don't want to change sizes. It's addressing!

In theory GCC supports CHAR_TYPE_SIZE > BITS_PER_UNIT, so sizeof (char) is
still 1 (sizeof counts in units of CHAR_TYPE_SIZE not BITS_PER_UNIT) but a
char is not the hardware addressing unit. I expect this is even more
broken in practice than BITS_PER_UNIT > 8.

Hm, ok. So I patched some source code, one generated file and it seems to work for int(eger) operations.

But if I want to add chars GCC runs into an endless loop during conversion (its the functions convert and convert_to_integer). In convert.c ~line 526 the parameters are: inprec:32 outprec:1 mode bitsize:8 I'm wondering about the output precision "1". In tree.def it is documented that a type precision is given in bits.

Any idea?
Boris