Re: Designs for better debug info in GCC

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> writes:

> On Dec 20, 2007, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Right, which will significantly increase debugging size as you add two
> > more notes around many lines.
>
> If that's the price to avoid debug information consumers getting
> incorrect values...
>
> Would you argue for a position such as:
>
>   we can't go on expanding C++ templates for every conceivable type
>   users instatiate them, this would make applications too large.
>   let's try to figure out some way to reuse template expansions, even
>   if some programs break, because it's more important to keep programs
>   small than to enable them to behave correctly
>
> ?

No, that would be an obviously stupid position to take.  I don't
understand why you even say such a thing.

> Why would code, essential for debug information consumers that are
> part of larger systems to work correctly, deserve any less attention
> to correctness?

Because for most people the use of debug information is to use it in a
debugger.  And for those people, correct information at line positions
suffices.

Even the use you mentioned of doing backtraces only requires adding
the notes around function calls, not around every line, unless you
enable -fnon-call-exceptions.

If you want to work on supporting this controlled by an option (-g4?),
that is fine with me.

Ian