Re: [RFC] WHOPR - A whole program optimizer framework for GCC

On 12/18/07 08:29, Jan Hubicka wrote:

Doing call graph changes should not be that hard (I was trying to keep
similar deisgn in mind when implementing it, even if we stepped away
from the plan in some cases, like reorganizing passes from vertical to
horisontal order). Nearest problem I see is merging different
declarations of units read back, I have prototype implementation of DECL
merging pass done from my trip this week and hope to have it working at
least for --combine and C during christmas.

Cool. Yeah, that is going to be one of the main things we need to continue. For the next little while I will be working on finishing tuples, most of what remains are mechanical changes to get bootstraps going. I will then work on tuning RTL generation.

Since we have these two ongoing branches (LTO and tuples) that will be used by whole program optimizer, I think we need to coordinate a little bit. I wrote up a wiki page to keep all these things linked from one place.

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/whopr

I started a very incomplete implementation plan that I would like folks to help fill in.

Ken/Nathan, what are the major issues still missing in LTO? I wrote up a couple, but I'm sure you guys have a much more complete list.

Jan, wrt the optimization plan coming out of the analysis phase, and the various pieces of header/summary information, what do you think are the major pieces we need?

In terms of branch mechanics, I'm initially tempted to do this implementation on a branch separate from tuples and lto. This will allow us to merge both lto and tuples separately, as the rest of the optimizer is still a long ways away. What do folks think?

Thanks. Diego.