Re: Git and GCC

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 01:02:58PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> > What is really disappointing is that we saved
> > only about 20% of the time. I didn't sit around watching the stages, but
> > my guess is that we spent a long time in the single threaded "writing
> > objects" stage with a thrashing delta cache.
>
> Maybe you should run the non threaded repack on the same machine to have
> a good comparison.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. By "saved" I meant "we needed N
minutes of CPU time, but took only M minutes of real time to use it."
IOW, if we assume that the threading had zero overhead and that we were
completely CPU bound, then the task would have taken N minutes of real
time. And obviously those assumptions aren't true, but I was attempting
to say "it would have been at most N minutes of real time to do it
single-threaded."

> And if you have only 2 CPUs, you will have better performances with
> pack.threads = 2, otherwise there'll be wasteful task switching going
> on.

Yes, but balanced by one thread running out of data way earlier than the
other, and completing the task with only one CPU. I am doing a 4-thread
test on a quad-CPU right now, and I will also try it with threads=1 and
threads=6 for comparison.

> And of course, if the delta cache is being trashed, that might be due to
> the way the existing pack was previously packed.  Hence the current pack
> might impact object _access_ when repacking them.  So for a really
> really fair performance comparison, you'd have to preserve the original
> pack and swap it back before each repack attempt.

I am working each time from the pack generated by fetching from
git://git.infradead.org/gcc.git.

-Peff