Re: Git and GCC

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 20:54 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Harvey Harrison wrote:
> >
> > If anyone recalls my report was something along the lines of
> > git gc --aggressive explodes pack size.

> [ By default, for example, "git svn clone/fetch" seems to create those
>   horrible fake email addresses that contain the ID of the SVN repo in
>   each commit - I'm not talking about the "git-svn-id", I'm talking about
>   the "user@hex-string-goes-here" thing for the author. Maybe people don't
>   really care, but isn't that ugly as hell? I'd think it's worth it doing
>   a really nice import, spending some effort on it.
>
>   But maybe those things come from the older CVS->SVN import, I don't
>   really know. I've done a few SVN imports, but I've done them just for
>   stuff where I didn't want to touch SVN, but just wanted to track some
>   project like libgpod. For things like *that*, a totally mindless "git
>   svn" thing is fine ]

git svn does accept a mailmap at import time with the same format as the
cvs importer I think.  But for someone that just wants a repo to check
out this was easiest.  I'd be willing to spend the time to do a nicer
job if there was any interest from the gcc side, but I'm not that
invested (other than owing them for an often-used tool).

Harvey