Re: Rant about ChangeLog entries and commit messages

> I tend to find GCC ChangeLog entries useless. For example, the more
>
> recent ChangeLog entry in gcc/ChangeLog is:
> | 2007-11-30  Jan Hubicka  <jh@suse.cz>
> |
> |         * ggc-common.c (dump_ggc_loc_statistics): Reset ggc_force_collect
> |         flag.
>
> How could a newcomer guess why the gcc_force_collect flag needs to be
> reset?

He indeed cannot, but the ChangeLog is not meant to make it possible either.
See http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html, especially the GNU Coding Standards.

> Jan posted a useful explanation on gcc-patches, but finding it
> by searching the mailing-list is not practical and it is not coupled
> with the checkin.

That's how it has always worked so it should be more or less practical.
For PRs, there is a link (URL: field), maybe we should use PRs more often.

--
Eric Botcazou