Re: PR1634: Request for gcc-cvs-patches list

Do people think it is a good idea to have a gcc-cvs-patches list (or
gcc-svn-patches, also fine), where all patches automatically get sent
to, exactly as they are committed to SVN (maybe in  gzip'ed form)?
This would have been especially useful before GCC started using SVN,
but even today there are some reasons to have this, as discussed in
the bug report.

If this is meant for usage by a program, I think that this can be done as easily with svn in the program, based on gcc-cvs messages. Even for semi-automated usage, I think that this is too hard to do with the filters in mail program, and one would resort to procmail (Joseph, what did you have in mind?). Put the recipe in contrib, and you get the same result as a public gcc-cvs-patches mailing list.

On the other hand, if it is meant for human usage the file list is already a clue to spot "wrong" commits. Then, an equivalent but more versatile feature request would be to have patches visible online, with URLs like http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/?r1=119999r2=120000&view=patch (which would do a "svn diff -x -u -r119999 -r120000"). Such URLs currently work with files but not with directories. I don't know how fundamental a problem with ViewVC and svn-python bindings this is.

Note that the latter solution would be nice because gzipped patches sent to a mailing list wouldn't be visible from a browser.

Paolo