Re: Build failure of trunk on i686-pc-gnu-linux

On 11/19/07, Thomas Schwinge <tschwinge@gnu.org> wrote:
> I'm glad that nobody answered.  I've been doing nothing wrong.  And also
> it's not someone else's fault.  But let me tell you what in fact was
> going wrong.

I think the reason why nobody answered is because we are all busy
doing real work.

> I had a some-months-old checkout of GCC trunk on my disk.  Now I needed
> such a checkout and thought: ``Good that the old one -- which I only used
> once for compiling and didn't do any modifications to it -- is still
> laying around: I'll simply use that one after having ran a ``svn update''
> in there.''  I also ran a ``svn diff''.  No modifications shown.  Also, I
> attempted a ``svn status'', but as that one -- apart from completely
> saturating the system's disk I/O (Pentium M with 1.7 GHz, 768 MiB of RAM)
> -- didn't give any output after having it had running for half a minute,
> I terminated it again.  After all, both ``svn update'' and ``svn diff''
> had made me think that the tree was as clean as it could be.  (SVN was
> made for easy transition from CVS, right?)

I use svn stat all the time without any issues.  It does take over a
half a minute for some of my local trees (they are not FSF GCC checks
and include a lot more files) but it is reasonable.

What version of svn are you using?  It might be something which is
already fixed in a newer version of svn.

> Does someone provide a Git mirror of the GCC repository? Or a CVS
> mirror? (With CVS you at least know what to expect...)

Really svn is not the issue if you know what you are doing.  See above.

Really what version of svn are you using because some older versions
of svn created many empty files which were not needed.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski