Re: Progress on GCC plugins ?

> I have a different fear: that gcc will become increasing irrelevant,
> as more and more new programmers learn to work on alternative free
> compilers instead.  That is neutral with regard to freedom, but it
> will tend to lose the many years of experience which have been put
> into gcc.  In my view, if we can't even get ourselves together to
> permit something as simple as plugins with an unstable API, then we
> deserve to lose.

As was said before, the difficultly in people working with GCC is
primarily lack of adequate documentation.  Creating a "plugin" interface
is certainly much more fun than writing documentation, but doesn't help
this issue nearly as much.  Moreover, writing documentation is not a
potential legal threat while plugins are.  To me, that argues strongly
against plugins and in favor of much more documentation.