Re: structuring a front-end subdirectory

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Olivier Hainque wrote:

> As part of our Ada front-end maintainership, we (AdaCore) would like
> to introduce a subdirectory of 'ada' where we would relocate all the
> files implementing the Ada-front-end/GCC interface (the "gigi" sources
> for the internal GNAT/GCC tree interfacing, plus the build
> infrastructure bits: Make*.in and config-lang.in).

If moving files, I'd encourage moving the sources built from the libada/
and gnattools/ toplevel directories to be physically located in those
directories (or subdirectories of them) as far as possible, as one step in
the rearrangement.  I don't however know how much dependence there might
be between these sources and the compiler sources that would make such a
move difficult.

Also note that, as described in gcc/doc/sourcebuild.texi, having
gcc/ada/Makefile.in is deprecated, so I hope the rearrangement will
eventually make it possible to eliminate this deprecated file (the only
language remaining with its own Makefile.in).

In any case, files should be moved with "svn mv" so that the history is
properly maintained.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com