Re: Progress on GCC plugins ?

Brendon Costa wrote:

The patch against GCC is GPL, the main library that is capable of
manipulating the data exported by the patched GCC is LGPL and could
theoretically be under any license.

Whose theory? You don't know that!

What i was trying to point out is that proprietary projects can already (without plugins) make exporters for GCC which are GPL and then create the majority of their code in other closed source apps that use that data.

You don't know that!

I don't see plugins as changing this except to make it easier. Which is really a major reason for proving plugins isn't it? Making it easier to provide additional GCC features?

No, it has other changes, since it establishes a standardized interface. In my view (from the point of view of an expert witness in copyright matters), this *does* make a big difference from a licensing point of view. Of course that's just my view, I don't know either, but I know that I don't know :-)

My project was given as an example of how it could be done currently without plugins even though this project is open source.

The issue is not can it be done, but what are the licensing issues? And without litigation, no one really knows.

Brendon.