Re: GCC 4.3 release schedule

Andrew Pinski wrote:
On 10/26/07, Andrew MacLeod <amacleod@redhat.com> wrote:
Now that GCC is in stage 4.3, I think we'd all be in agreement that it
would be nice to keep this stage short and get a release out.

Let me suggest something which is going sound a little crazy.

Create a beta that is released now and then release one once (or
twice) a month until we release 4.3. This is seperate from a release
candidate and the snapshot. The beta is get attention from some folks
that would not have used the snapshot before. It might get say some
Fortran developers or some interesting C++ developers using it. We
can write a little thing up on why we are doing the beta, C++0x
support, more fortran support and vectorizer turned on by default at
-O3.
Im not sure what that buys us. All the critical users are involved in creating the RC's. If we want others to use it, let them use the first RC and call it beta 1 instead/as well.

I think most casual users will do the same thing I do for a linux distro, simply wait for the release so you are less likely to have to deal with instabilities.

Andrew