Re: Removal of pre-ISO C++ items from include/backwards

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 22:56 +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 25/10/2007, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> wrote:

> The plan is to also move auto_ptr and the old bind1st/bind2nd function
> binders to backward, if/when they are deprecated in C++0x, which would
> give them the same status as <strstream> (deprecated in C++98)

This would not be correct. When you deprecate C++2000 features,
you should retain them in such a way that a compiler switch
such as --std=C++2000 will ensure they're visible in the usual way.

This means they don't have the same status as strstream,
which was never standardised in non-deprecated status ..

>  and the
> SGI hash containers (never standardised, now deprecated in libstdc++):
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2007-10/msg00090.html

Nor sgi hash containers, which were never standardised.

The compiler is expected to conform to the specified standard
and the standard libraries are an intrinsic part of the
standard, and IMHO it would be good practice to allow
'strict' conformance to an older standard, whilst still
rejecting 'never standardised' features.

Might not auto_ptr etc go into a distinct c++2000 directory?

[BTW: very glad to hear auto_ptr is leaving is. The LWG made
a total mess of my requirement and suggestion, the newer
classes finally provide the right thing .. thank you to the
new LWG members on that!]