Re: What is a regression?

Jason Merrill wrote:

Similarly, bugs marked as 4.1/4.2/4.3 regression don't seem like a high priority to me. If a bug wasn't a blocker for 4.2, it shouldn't be a blocker for 4.3. It makes sense to give such a bug a higher priority than it would normally (say, one point higher), but it seems to me that only regressions relative to the previous release series should actually be considered for release timing.

I think this is a very important point. If it didn't block a previous release, it shouldn't block the current release. It doesn't mean it shouldn't get looked at, but it also shouldn't be a blocker. I think the high priority regressions should be ones that are new to 4.3 because they have clearly been either introduced or exposed by this release and need to be dealt with.

Andrew