Re: Add a symlink for each branch in online docs

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, François-Xavier Coudert wrote:
> The documentation for different releases of GCC in the same branch
> vary only slightly. For that reason, I think it would be nice to be
> able to have a URL for "the doc of a given branch", meaning "the doc
> of the last released version of this branch". For example, that would
> be achieved by creating a symlink
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.2 ->
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.2.1
>
> Would that be considered useful? And if yes, how to implement it?

Technically we could do so by manually adding symlinks on gcc.gnu.org
(which Mark or me could do, for example) or redirects via htdocs/.htaccess.

How useful this would be, I do not have a strong opinion about; I guess
I'm mostly not sure whether it's worth any complications.  It's probably
a matter of how (strongly) our users feel about it.

Gerald