Re: Link tests after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES

Jie Zhang wrote:
libstdc++ tries to avoid link tests when configured with newlib. But I
saw this when working on bfin port gcc:

checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
checking for shl_load... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jie/blackfin-sources/build43/gcc_build-4.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I got this when building bfin-elf-gcc with patched gcc and newlib in the
same tree. I found LT_SYS_DLOPEN_SELF does link tests for shl_load after
GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES. The call path is

"libstdc++-v3/configure.ac" AM_PROG_LIBTOOL -> "libtool.m4" LT_INIT ->
_LT_SETUP -> _LT_LANG_C_CONFIG -> LT_SYS_DLOPEN_SELF

I saw something similar, but managed to make it go away. I don't remember how exactly (this kind of issue seems to happen to me all the time, for different reasons each time), but I think the actual problem was that you need to ensure that gcc_no_link doesn't get set. That's a test somewhat earlier in configure.

Bernd -- This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers. Analog Devices GmbH Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6 80807 Muenchen Sitz der Gesellschaft Muenchen, Registergericht Muenchen HRB 40368 Geschaeftsfuehrer Thomas Wessel, William A. Martin, Margaret Seif