Re: GCC plugin - was: Official Inclusion of GCC Extension Modules (Or similar)

Ben Elliston wrote:
> I'm not sure how GEM (another Stony Book University project) relates to
> the talk given at this year's GCC Summit, but there was a talk about a
> plug-in architecture for GCC to allow modules to operate on the GIMPLE
> IR ("Extending GCC with Modular GIMPLE Optimisations" by Sean Callanan).
>
> This work was well received and is currently being prepared on a branch;
> I expect it will be introduced to the mainline at some point.  You might
> like to check out the proceedings of the summit for more details on it:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/HomePage?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=GCC2007-Proceedings.pdf
>
> Cheers, Ben

Thank you for the information. It sounds like this is almost what I am
looking for. I require hooks into the C GENERIC transformation stage
(before GENERIC is transformed into GIMPLE). The paper mentioned that
this is not yet done but may be added as a future improvement.

I might look a bit more into this branch. It looks great. Does anyone
know if this is the best place to direct any questions or thoughts if
i have any or should i email Sean directly?

Thanks for the response.
Brendon.