Re: How to make use of instruction scheduling to improve performance?

> > > If I understand your description, you are adding instrumentation code,
> > > and you want to expose that code to the scheduler.  What you need to
> > > do in that case is to add the code as RTL instructions before the
> > > scheduling pass runs.  You will need to figure out the RTL which will
> > > do what you want.  Then you will need to insert it around the
> >                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > > instructions which you want to instrument.  You will probably want to
>
> You should just match on the RTL.  I don't know enough about the
> Itanium to tell you precisely what to look for.  But, for example, you
> might look for
>    s = single_set (PATTERN (insn));
>    if (s != NULL && (MEM_P (SET_SRC (s) || MEM_P (SET_DEST (s)))))
>
> Ian

Thanks. I observe that the 2nd instruction scheduling happens after
the local and global allocation. However, in my instrumentation, I
need several registers to do computation, can I allocate registers to
do computation in the instrumentation code just before the 2nd
instruction scheduling? If so, would you mind giving some hints on the
interfaces that I could make use of.
   Besides,  what happens if I move the insertion of instrumentation
before register allocation,  or even before the 1st scheduling pass,
can I identify load/store instructions that early?