Re: GCC 4.2.1 : bootstrap fails at stage 2. compiler produces wrong binary for wrong processor

"Dennis Clarke" <dclarke@blastwave.org> writes:

> SUMMARY : the stage 2 compiler produces the wrong binary type for this machine

rather than the gcc@gcc.gnu.org list.  Please take any followups to
gcc-help.  Thanks.

> In either case I think that the --host needs to be specified as well as
> perhaps --with-cpu=foo or something like that in the ./configure line.

It does seem from your description that you need to set the host
explicitly.  That is not documented because it is rarely necessary.
Apparently the config.guess shell script produced the wrong results on
your system.  The option you want is --build, as in
--build=sparc-sun-solaris2.8.  I don't actually know which --build
option you want here.  I don't even know for sure that your old
machine is supported.

Ian