Re: RFC: GIMPLE tuples. Design and implementation proposal

http://hal.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/
http://hal.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/ext.html#toc24 .

(mailto:dnovillo@redhat.com) >:
>>Any  specific reasons why we should?  Better memory savings?  Faster
>>processing?  It's not clear from your message what the  advantages would
>>be (ignoring the fact that their implementation  language is completely
>>different).

And ignoring that portions of GCC are not written in "C": examples  being the
use of configure scripts to spit out snippets of "C" to (test for  compiler
features), use of flex, yacc, the various files generated and then  compiled.
GCC is not 'just "C"' - probably be more portable if it were  ...

An example of a project using ML for "Intermediate  Representation":
_http://www.cs.nyu.edu/leunga/www/MLRISC/Doc/html/mlrisc-ir-rep.html_
(http://www.cs.nyu.edu/leunga/www/MLRISC/Doc/html/mlrisc-ir-rep.html)

Ocaml:

- The acronym CAML originally stood for Categorical Abstract Machine
Language.

- It has a large standard library that makes it useful for many of the same
applications as Python or Perl, as well as robust modular and
object-oriented
programming constructs that make it applicable for  large-scale software
engineering.

- ML-derived languages are best known for their static type systems and
type-inferring compilers. OCaml unifies functional, imperative, and
object-oriented programming under an ML-like type system.

- OCaml's static type system eliminates a large class of programmer errors
that may cause problems at runtime. However, it also forces the  programmer
to conform to the constraints of the type system, which  can require careful
thought and close attention. A type-inferring  compiler greatly reduces the
need for manual type annotations.

- OCaml is perhaps most distinguished from other languages with origins in
academia by its emphasis on performance. Firstly, its static type  system
renders runtime type mismatches impossible, and thus obviates  the need for
runtime type and safety checks that burden the  performance of dynamically
typed languages, while still guaranteeing  runtime safety.

- Also the reason that you made mention of, CIL is written in that  language.
The object (and library) files are completely linkable with  "C" code.

CIL:
- organizes Câs imperative features into expressions,  instructions and
statements
based on the presence and absence of  side-effects and control-flow.

- Every statement can be annotated with successor and predecessor
information.

- CIL provides an integrated program representation that can be used with
routines
that require an AST (e.g. type-based analyses and  pretty-printers), as well
as with
routines that require a CFG (e.g.,  dataflow analyses).

- CIL also supports even lower-level representations  (e.g.,  three-address
code).

Deputy:

- Deputy is implemented using the CIL infrastructure for C program analysis
and transformation, and it uses GCC as a back end.

- Deputy is a C compiler that is capable of preventing common C programming
errors, including out-of-bounds memory accesses as well as many other  common
type-safety errors. It is designed to work on real-world code,  up to and
including the Linux kernel itself.

- Deputy allows C programmers to provide simple type annotations that
describe
pointer bounds and other important program invariants.  Deputy verifies that
your program adheres to these invariants through  a combination of
compile-time
and run-time checking.

- Unlike other tools for checking C code, Deputy provides a flexible
annotation
language that allows you to describe many common  programming idioms without
changing your data structures. As a  result, using Deputy requires less
programmer
effort than other  tools. In fact, code compiled with Deputy can be linked
directly with  code compiled by other C compilers, so you can choose exactly
when  and where to use Deputy within your C project.

I think you will find that Deputy is like "C" with a few extra comment  lines.

Of course you do not have to have the advantages of using Deputy. You  can
simply
read about CIL and implement a few of CIL's ideas in "C" and use  those in
GCC.

Deputy with CIL provides both a higher level and a lower level than the
current
implementation and would provide a "C" compiler that has more checks  as
opposed to
one that always has a few bugs (upon which all the rest of the  toolchain is
built).

Portions of the "C" testsuite that fail are a few years old.

You mention "Better memory savings? Faster processing?". If that is all  you
want
then what language do you think we would be using - hint it is not  very
portable.

I respect the fact that people at Redhat are competent programmers, I do  not
know why
you are dismissive of Berkeley, (or Rice, NYU, TAMU, or any of a number of
places with
ideas to contribute to your project). I was trying to keep my suggestion
closely aligned
to your goal rather than to give you a "do it this way - it is better"
argument and suggest
you follow a different course of action.

Have you tried to compile GCC 4.3 with CIL ? I have. You are not required  to
switch,
simply have a look at what others are doing and incorporate the best ideas
into your
efforts. Your "tuple paper" seemed to end abruptly and was not fleshed  out.

Rob