Re: Fixed-point branch?

Mark Mitchell wrote:
Chao-Ying, I'm also interested in whether or not these changes have any
impact on C++. With your changes, does GNU C++ now accept any
fixed-point constructs?

Chao-ying's on vacation this week. AFAIK Chao-ying's code does nothing explicit to support, or not support, C++. The front-end code was based on the Decimal floating point extension, so should currently behave in a similar fashion to that with regards C++.

If so, are you aware of any effort to
standardize any of this functionality in C++?

Annex F (page 96) of the N1169 spec (http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1169.pdf) does give some "guidelines" for C++ usage, but only a very hand-wavy couple of paragraphs. I guess we can ask the committee members if there is any work going on in this area.

(I think that my
preference, in the short term, would be to disable this functionality in
C++ -- although, of course, we will eventually want to turn it on so
that GNU C++ is as much as possible a superset of GNU C.)

OK

Nigel