Re: 4.3 release plan

Joe Buck wrote:

>> I had hoped to get my pointer plus branch merged in which should
>> improve code gen and memory usage and compile time.
>
> There seem to be quite a large number of not-yet-merged projects
> on the wiki page at

Never mind, I just did some investigation and it appears that
the patches we want are quite trivial to backport to 4.2, so
we don't need to rush 4.3 out.

> "Go straight to phase 3" would presumably mean that none of them get
> in.

But on the other end, if we do push GCC 4.3 out now, there
will be another stage 1 very soon :-)

Well, I don't want to step on anybody's feet. GCC has historically
had longer release cycles than other projects of comparable size
and this has clearly been consciously planned by experienced
people, most probably for good reason.

For the impatient, backporting is always an option.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/