Re: GCC 4.2.0 Status Report (2007-05-11)

Mark Mitchell wrote:
Steven Bosscher wrote:
On 5/12/07, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:
PR 31797: An infinite loop in the compiler while building RTEMS.
Daniel, I see you've been commenting on this; are you working on the
fix? If so, do you have an ETA?
Why are you waiting for this one? RTEMS is not a primary or secondary
platform. So there is no reason to wait with the release because of
this PR, according to the release criteria (xf.
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/criteria.html).

I'm not particularly interested in it because of its RTEMS-ness. Rather, I'm interested in it because it's a new case of the compiler failing to correctly process valid code, not present in previous versions of GCC. The test case is not RTEMS-specific; it's a problem that looks like it could equally well apply to lots of other code out there making use of volatile storage.

I thought Ralf had managed to reproduce the failure with the reduced test case
on all targets he had tried. The code is in an RTEMS device driver but since
it involves volatile, it is possible that this code occur in any OS or device driver.

--joel