Re: Mercurial repository set up for GCC that mirrors SVN

On 5/8/07, Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> wrote:
And today we learn why I think version control systems that think
"repacking" is something the user should be doing are worthless beasts
:)
It generally just means you didn't think through your storage
subsystem enough, but in git's case it's probably that the project it
was originally developed for just doesn't take a lot of disk space.

It has its advantages too, but I'm by no means experienced enough to give you the whole picture. I was just letting you know how much space git-svn uses on my machine to keep track of gcc development.

And if every week (or two) I've generated/fetched enough new material
that it matters, I'm only one call to git-gc away from
packing/pruning/etc.  Git 1.5 has had a lot of usability improvements
in this area.  Purely FYI, not evangelizing.

Cheers,

Harvey