Re: gcov in cross-compile: have a patch, seek direction

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 22:16 +0200, Danny Backx wrote:

> Gcov normally puts the files where it writes profiling information in
> the source directory. In a cross-development environment, that directory
> isn't always available.

So I discovered when debugging testsuite failures on a remote target :-)

> Gcc has support for overriding that directory at runtime.
> Unfortunately, on Windows CE, that is not always easy.

Why, is there no concept of environment variables for Windows CE
processes?  What is the real problem?

> I've patched my copy of gcc to be able to specify a different directory
> at compile-time (instead of at run time).
>
> I can cleanup and submit my patch if there's interest.
>
> Prior to that, I have a question : should this support be steered via
> parameters on the compiler command line, or from environment values ?

Don't use environment variables at compile time.  It makes reproducing
problems in the field extremely difficult.  We need useers to be able to
send source input plus a command line without having to further guess
their environment.

Cheers, Ben

--
Ben Elliston <bje@au.ibm.com>