Re: Accessing signgam from the middle-end for builtin lgamma

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Not to be too negative (I am curious about this), but does this sort of
> optimization really carry its own weight?  Is this a common thing in
> numeric code or something like that?
> Tom

I don't know that optimizing lgamma by itself makes a big difference.
However we're down to the last few C99 math functions and if I can get all
of them I think it's worthwhile to be complete.  For the record, the
remaining ones are lgamma/gamma and drem/remainder/remquo.  (Bessel
functions have been submitted but not approved yet.  Complex math however
still needs some TLC.)  If you can find something I've overlooked, please
let me know.

Taken as a whole, I do believe optimizing constant args helps numeric
code.  E.g. it's noted here that PI is often written as 4*atan(1) and that
this idiom appears in several SPEC benchmarks.

And of course there are many ways through macros, inlining, templates, and
various optimizations that a constant could be propagated into a math
function call.  When that happens, it is both a size and a speed win to
fold it.  And in the above PI case, folding atan also allows GCC to fold
the mult.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu