Re: assign numbers to warnings; treat selected warnings as errors

On 27 Apr 2007 08:50:57 -0500, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@cs.tamu.edu> wrote:
Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@alice-dsl.net> writes:

| [adjusting Subject and also forwarding to gcc@]
|
| On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 12:12 -0700, Vivek Rao wrote:
| > Here is a feature of g95 that I would like to see in
| > gfortran. G95 assigns numbers to warnings and allows
| > selected warnings to be treated as errors.
|
| [...]
|
| > g95 -Wall -Wextra -Werror=113,115,137 xunused.f90
| >
| > turns those warnings into errors.
| >
| > Gfortran does not assign numbers to warnings, and the
| > option -Werror turns ALL warnings into errors. I'd
| > like finer control.
|
| This does sound like a useful feature, not only for
| gfortran, but for all of gcc.
|
| Thoughts, comments?

The is a front end-independent infrastructure in place to name
diagnostics and filer them -- used by most GCC front ends.  Only
Gfortran seems to build its own ghetto.

[ Please don't use such offensive wording, there is no "ghetto-building going on here. ]

The front-end independent infrastructure is not independent enough to
support the format of errors/warnings that gfortran writes out.
Gfortran writes out the line in the source file that has the issue,
and uses carrets to pin-point the location of the issue.  The language
independent infrastructure unfortunately still cannot do this.

Gr.
Steven