Re: GCC mini-summit - compiling for a particular architecture

Mark Mitchell wrote on 04/23/07 13:56:

> So, I think there's a middle ground between "exactly the same passes on
> all targets" and "use Acovea for every CPU to pick what -O2 means".
> Using Acovea to reveal some of the suprising, but beneficial results,
> seems like a fine idea, though.

I'm hoping to hear something along those lines at the next GCC Summit. I
have heard of a bunch of work in academia doing extensive optimization
space searches looking for combinations of pass sequencing and
repetition to achieve optimal results.

My naive idea is for someone to test all these different combinations
and give us a set of -Ox recipes that we can use by default in the compiler.