Re: Recent dataflow branch SPEC2000 benchmarking

On 4/12/07, Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com> wrote:
> Thanks for testing this. Do you also have per benchmark compilation
> times, perhaps?

Not really.  I don't do that because runtest startup is about 0.4s (on
ppc64) and a few fp tests are compiled for 1.5s.  If you are interesting
in analyzing a reason for slowdown, I'd recommend to look at fma3d.  For
ppc64 It is compiled for 2m9.6s on the branch and 1m43.7s on the
mainline last merge point.  For ia64 it is compiled for 3m20.8s on the
branch and for 2m9.6s on the mainline.

Thanks for those numbers. It gives us something specific to look at.

I think that bigger compilation time is partially because of bigger code
generated on the branch.

Do you really believe that 2% code size change would result in a >50% compile time increase? Seems rather unlikely to me.... :-/

(FWIW I'm pretty sure the code size increase happens because
crossjumping does not happen as often on the dataflow branch as it
does on the trunk.)

Gr.
Steven