Re: GCC priorities [Was Re: We're out of tree codes; now what?]

On Thu, 21 Mar 2007, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

I think you may misunderstand the mission statement.  The mission
statement is not a technical roadmap.  It's a statement of general
goals.  If the community has a serious disagreement, the mission
statement can sometimes help clarify matters.
[...]
The problem as I see it is that different gcc developers have
different goals.  And it is a natural tendency for developers to care
more about their specific goals than any developer cares about the
general goals.  The effect is that specific goals get implemented at
the expense of general goals.

Exactly. I'm viewing the mission statement as the moral equivalent of a constitution -- the highest guidelines that you fall back on when everything else fails. Your first paragraph above indicates that you view it similarly. But it's currently so vague that I don't imagine it's much use... it's like a legal constitution that says "be nice to everybody".

Many (most?) open source projects have one or a few benevolent dictators that control things. GCC doesn't (the steering committee is too far removed from day-to-day decisions), and I think its development suffers for it at times. Maybe I'm wrong, but to return to the original topic, I don't expect to see compile-time performance improve significantly in any future release.

Nick