Re: We're out of tree codes; now what?

Joe Buck wrote:

> If you want to be a working programmer in ten years, you need to start
> thinking about parallel programming.

Yes, I'm well aware of the technology roadmaps for CPUs.  But, I don't
think that's got a big impact here; the parallelism is also going to
apply to the software build process, whether via "make -j" parallelism,
threading in the compiler, etc.

(I fully expect that -- without change -- the traditional GCC build
process, using parallel make, will become bound mostly by the serial
nature of the configure scripts, rather by the actual compilation of the
compiler and runtime libraries.)

So, I still believe that I'll be able to build GCC 5.0 (on hardware
available at that point) in less time than it took to build GCC 3.4 (on
hardware available at that point).

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery