Re: We're out of tree codes; now what?

On 3/12/07, Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:
On 3/12/07, Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/12/07, Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can I recommend something just crazy, rewrite the C and C++ front-ends
> > so they don't use the tree structure at all except when lowering until
> > gimple like the rest of the GCC front-ends?
>
> The C front end already emits generic, so there's almost no win in
> rewriting it (one lame tree code in c-common.def -- not worth the
> effort ;-).

I was thinking to rewrite the C++ front-end not to use extra tree
codes you would also need to rewrite the C front-end but now thinking
about, you could use one tree code for all of C++ and then use
subcodes or at least one tree code for types, one for expressions, one
for decls and one for all others and then use subcodes.

This was part of the point of making decl nodes a hierarchy, to enable exactly this (even though it has not been split into subcodes yet) tree_contains_struct then allows you to exactly check things are still safe to access.