Re: We're out of tree codes; now what?

On 3/12/07, Paolo Carlini <pcarlini@suse.de> wrote:
Hi,

just wanted to say explicitely that I'm supporting completely Doug'
efforts at fixing this issue. Well, I'm a little biased, because I'm
working on C++/26099 and I will need at least one new tree code, but
that's not the point, the point is that where we are implementing C++0x
features and improving the C++ front-end generally, we are unavoidably
adding tree codes and we must solve the issue, one way or another. We
should help Doug in any possible way in this task, not ask for reversions.

Can I recommend something just crazy, rewrite the C and C++ front-ends so they don't use the tree structure at all except when lowering until gimple like the rest of the GCC front-ends?

This will cause us to get back a couple more free tree codes.

There are a couple of unused tree codes also if you want to reduce the
current number, the Objective-C++ front-end have a couple which no
longer need to be trees also (at one point people just abused tree
codes for lots of stuff).

-- Pinski