Re: Adding a new gcc dir

On 3/6/07, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
On 06 March 2007 18:22, Paulo J. Matos wrote:

> i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar: symbol-tables.o: No such file or directory > > And in fact there is no symbol-tables.o but I saw it being compiled so > I wonder where it has gone to. > > > Any suggestions ??

  1.  Always pipe the build output to a file so you can review it after the
build and see what went wrong.

Yes, so? What help would that be right now?

2. Learn about the unix 'find' command.

I know about the find command! Why should I need it here? To do "find . -name symbol-tables.o" ? I told you, there's no such file.

  3.  Don't use a subdirectory, none of the other passes do that,
subdirectories are for separate languages.  Think of it like this: a compile
taking place in a subdirectory of the gcc build dir can reference the core gcc
.o files built in the parent dir, but the core gcc build in the parent dir
can't reference files in a sub-dir.  (This isn't strictly true, I'm sure
there's a way to make it work, but all the existing build machinery works this
way round and it's probably easiest to keep to the same scheme).

So, any auxiliar files to the pass should be in the same directory as the pass itself. Or do you advise me to have _all_ the code in the pass file?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

cheers, DaveK -- Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm
PhD Student @ ECS
University of Southampton, UK