Ignore source file's directory feature of -I-

Hello,

I have only recently begun to test using gcc version 4.0 and later and have
found that the -I- option has been deprecated.  The documentation in these
later releases indicates that one part of the -I- option has been replaced
with a new option, namely -iquote.  Unfortunately, that is not the feature
of -I- that I have been using extensively for compiling code in a VPATH
environment.

I have searched the bug archive as well as the mailing lists to see whether
I could find more information about whether the second feature of -I- will
continue to be supported (and, if so, under what option).  I found one bug
in the database: #19541, which describes the feature I need and references
a patch to implement that feature (the patch is dated 2006-04-12).  After
scanning the patches mailing list, I did not see any further reference to
this issue, particularly whether or not the patch would be applied to the gcc
mainline or any of its releases.

I also searched the main gcc mailing list (this one) and found some references
to the same problem, particularly one from the maintainers of nmake (a
thread of which eventually also points to the above bug number).  There haven't
been many messages discussing this issue since February of 2006, except for
a few problems with the -iquote feature that are unrelated to the issue I
have.

Is there a resolution on the issue of the -I- feature of ignoring the source
file's directory (for example, a statement that a new flag will be added)?
I don't have the option of using my own version of gcc with the patch applied;
the build system I maintain has to be able to use the version of gcc installed
with the operating system.

-Peter