Re: Reduce Dwarf Debug Size

On 02/03/07, Kaveh R. GHAZI <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:

Perhaps a middle ground between what we have now, and "trust but verify",
would be to have a "without objection" rule.  I.e.  certain people are
authorized to post patches and if no one objects within say two weeks,
then they could then check it in.  I think that would help clear up the
backlog while still allowing people to comment *before* the patch goes in.

I am new here but since my recent ping-floods have been used as arguments to foster some opinions, I think I will give my opinion.

I think the "without objection rule" is a bad idea. As it has been
said already, relevant maintainers may be on vacation, may be busy
during 2 weeks, or the patch may have fallen through the cracks. And
precisely the latter is what I perceive as the real problem that a
"without objection rule" will not solve and will actually introduce
another problem: undesirable unreviewed patches get committed.

The problem is not that reviewers do not review, they do. If you ping
a patch it will get reviewed sooner or later. The problem is that if
the submitter does not insist, the patch will go unnoticed. I guess
there may be many reasons for not insisting and many reasons why the
patches go unnoticed. Some reasons have been pointed out already:
reviewers waiting for other reviewers to step in, submitter losing
interest from lack of feedback, submitters ignore that they need to
ping or how often, lack of reviews from non-maintainers, reviewers
tend to focus on recent patches, ...

Neither "trust but verify" or "without objection rule" would solve any
of these problems.

Just an uninformed opinion from a newbie,

Manuel.