Auto Vectorizing help needed

I am targeting GCC 4.1.1 to a custom RISC processor; which has some vector
instructions (32 bit vectors). It can perform two 16 bit/ or four 8 bit
additions, subtractions, multiplications & shift operations simultaneously.

I would like to use the Auto-Vectorizing capability to generate these
instructions. Is there an existing backend that I could look at for
something similar? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

SD