Re: GCC 4.2.0 Status Report (2007-02-19)

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 08:49:38AM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> I don't know how to evaluate Danny B's claims that these things are
> rare.  We don't have nearly as a big a customer base as Red Hat or SuSE,
> and our customer base compiles a different class of applications on
> different hardware, so that may explain the differences.

I think we haven't encountered any 4.1.x aliasing bug on our distribution
or its aux repositories and we had just one report about an 4.1.x aliasing
bug reported to us (forwarded as PR30708, but was actually just an ALTlinux
bugreport they tried with our gcc as well and so reported to us).
So, I'd agree with Danny B that the problems are quite rare and the
performance hit is IMHO too big for fixing the bugs.  Every released GCC had
a bunch of wrong-code bugs, we of course need to try to fix them but in each
case need to look whether the cons of the fix don't outweight the benefit.

	Jakub